Why should I study this course?
Find out how the world of business works, why it does what it does and why businesses are such an important part of the economy. This two-year academic course will help you develop the skills which employers’ value and expect from prospective employees.
You will study different areas of business from marketing to finance with the aim of understanding both the theory of business and how that theory can be applied to real world examples.
This two year course is an ideal stepping stone to either a job in business or perhaps further study in a business-related field at university such as marketing, finance or accounting.
Find out more about our Business courses from teacher Mark Brown. In this short video he'll explain which is the right course for you to choose, and tell you more about some of the interesting things you'll explore - such as why do large companies spend so much on Christmas adverts, and is the high street disappearing and being replaced by online shopping.
What will I study?
Year One Units:
You will study the following topics:
- What is business?
- Managers, leadership and decision making
- Decision making to improve marketing performance
- Decision making to improve operational performance
- Decision making to improve financial performance
- Decision making to improve human resource management
Year Two Units:
The second year of the course incorporates the same six topics plus the following additional topics:
- Analysing the strategic position of a business
- Choosing strategic direction
- Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies
- Managing strategic changes
How is the course assessed?
This linear A Level course is a 100% examination-based qualification with no coursework to complete. The final grade is determined as a result of taking three two hour examinations at the end of the second year. These examinations cover all the content that you have covered over the two years of study. The examinations themselves are a mixture of multiple choice, data response and essay type questions.
What will the course prepare me for?
This course will give you an excellent understanding of how businesses of all sorts work. It will help prepare you for being successful in finding a job in one of the many sectors of the business world from working in a retail environment, in the public sector or in the world of finance.
You may, of course, use the course as a means of securing a Higher Education place on one of the very many business-related degree courses available at university.
You will be expected to complete at least 4 hours of private study a week. This work is outside of the classroom and will enable you to complete your homework tasks and achieve your target grade.
What materials will I need to provide?
The college will provide you with basic textbooks and teaching materials. You will need to provide paper, pens and other writing materials. We would advise you to obtain a USB stick to help you with the completion of coursework outside the lessons.
How will I be taught?
You will be taught by enthusiastic staff who share your interest in business. You will experience a wide variety of learning activities during the course including the chance to take part in visits to local or regional businesses as well as the opportunity to hear from speakers who work in the business world. Staff will use many examples of well-known businesses to help you understand how businesses work.
Each year, for example, we visit an Amazon Distribution Centre to see how one of the world's most successful companies does it!
The college will support you to find a work placement to help you decide if the right business-related job is out there.
This course is for you if...
- you are keen to find out about the way business works
- you want to know about the business theory and how it can be linked to real world examples
- you enjoy a course which develops lots of important skills including both numerical and literary ones
- you want a qualification which employers recognise and value
Your application starts here
What are the course requirements?
Five 9 - 4 (A* - C) grades at GCSE including GCSE English Language at grade 4/C.
If you are interested in joining the College we will arrange a meeting with an experienced subject counsellor who will help you to choose courses that best suit your ambitions and achievements.
All entry requirement details are correct at the time of publication; however, the College may need to make some changes in light of student demand, staff availability and external factors beyond the College's control.
What skills do I need?
- A commitment and interest in finding out more about the business world
- An ability to analyse and explain the nature of the business environment
- A willingness to apply business theory to real world examples
- An ability to express work ideas in clear written and spoken English