What is The Excellence Programme?
The Excellence Programme at Wilberforce College has been specially designed to support and inspire aspirational students.
As an ‘Excellence Student’, you will take part in an exciting and challenging programme, designed to help you to fulfil your goals and succeed to the very best of your ability. This programme will assist you as you build on your achievements at GCSE towards attaining the highest results in your A Levels or BTEC qualifications. At the same time it will enable you to develop your profile, experience, interests and skills that are essential for those university, higher level apprenticeship and employment applications.
You may wish to be part of this programme if you:
- Achieved excellent GCSE grades and you wish to apply for entry to one of the country’s top universities.
- You are interested in medicine or veterinary science
- You have clearly defined career goals and would like support in achieving your dream job
- You are still unsure of your ultimate goals, but you know you want to succeed and need some inspiration
What does the Excellence Programme involve?
- EPQ – Experience writing a dissertation and gain extra UCAS points! This additional qualification will provide you with excellent preparation for completing your university entrance application form and will provide you with the opportunity to extend your abilities beyond the A Level syllabus.
- Preparing for business / Preparing for Teaching courses for those interested in pursuing such careers
We offer you:
- Organised visits / conferences to universities
- Guest talks / lectures from academic speakers
- University access programmes, including the Cambridge HE+ scheme and Realising Opportunities
- Mock interviews, including focused advice for Oxbridge applicants
- Preparation for specialist university entrance exams
- The opportunity to apply for Summer Schools at universities.
- The chance to act as a student mentor to other students.
- The chance to have a say in the running of the college through participation in the Student Council.
- The chance to take part in enrichment activities such as the Debating Society and the Greenpower project. These will promote and enhance your academic excellence and offer opportunities for leadership
- Volunteering positions such as working in local primary schools, work shadowing with top employers and cultural events.
- Help and advice in selecting relevant work experience
Who can apply?
Applications are welcome from any student. You will have a brief interview with the Excellence Coordinator in which you will discuss your interests and aspirations, both in terms of college and beyond. In addition, students should be committed to achieving their personal best and be willing to undertake a wide range of activities designed to help them perform at the highest levels.
For further information, contact Sonya Evans, EPQ and Excellence Coordinator.
Meg graduated with a first in MSci Natural Sciences (Physics), and won the Cambridge Tessella Prize for the best use of software in her master’s project. She is now at UCL doing a PhD in Computational Medical Physics: Proton Beam Cancer Therapy, funded directly by the UCL Graduate Research Scholarship.
Studied: A Levels Chemistry, Further Maths, Maths and Physics