Safeguarding children – the action we take to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm – is everyone’s responsibility. Everyone who comes into contact with children and families has a role to play. (Keeping Children Safe in Education 2019)
SAFEGUARDING AND PROMOTING THE WELFARE OF CHILDREN IS DEFINED AS:
- Protecting children from maltreatment;
- Preventing impairment of children’s health or development
- Ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care; and
- Taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes.
(Working Together to Safeguard Children: A Guide to Inter-Agency Working to Safeguarding Children and Promote the Welfare of Children, HM Government 2018)
THE COLLEGE TAKES THE SAFEGUARDING OF STUDENTS AS A PRIORITY, EVIDENCED BY ITS CORE VALUES:
- We conduct ourselves with integrity and respect for all.
- We make students’ experience central.
- We value individuals and promote self-esteem.
- We work as a team.
- We encourage innovation, creativity and enjoyment.
The college recognises that protecting and safeguarding young people is a shared responsibility and depends upon effective joint working between agencies and professionals that have different roles and expertise. We adhere to the Local Safeguarding Children Partnership (LSCP) Guidelines and Procedures.