Student FAQs


How is attendance monitored?

All students are expected to attend 100% of timetabled sessions, which includes lessons, tutorials, core programmes and work placements. All absence is unauthorised until appropriate evidence is provided to Student Services; it is the responsibility of the student to provide this evidence. Authorised absences include: short illness; hospital appointment; funeral of a close family relative; an interview for a permanent job or university place; emergency medical or dental treatment; court attendance; driving test; educational visit or fieldwork; work experience placement; or approved study leave.

What additional support is available to help students with coursework and exams?

All students have access to the dedicated Study Support Centre, which provides one-to-one and group support with essay writing, planning, and revision and exam techniques.

How much are College Riders and where do I get them from?

For students living in Hull, we are offering Stagecoach College Riders for only £8.50 – a deal exclusively available to all Wilberforce College students to buy each week from Student Services. If a student uses their College Rider to get to and from College every day this offers great value journeys.

Who are the Student Force, and how do I go about joining?

The Student Force is made up of current students at the college, who act as our representatives and work with our marketing department. They might attend external events, promote Wilberforce in the local community, or help out at our Open Evenings. If you are interested in joining, please contact

How do I apply to university?

When you are in the second year of your level 3 course at Wilberforce, we will provide you with support with your application through UCAS. Your tutor will help you write your personal statement, and our UCAS administrator will ensure your application is sent off correctly to the universities of your choice. If you need help choosing courses and where to study, our Careers Progression Officer can help and give all the advice you need. For those who are interested in applying to Oxford and Cambridge, we have the Excellence Programme, which includes visits to the universities, counselling from Oxbridge graduates and interview coaching.

What will happen to my email address when I have left college?

If you do not re-enrol at Wilberforce, it is college policy to disable your account, as we cannot leave them accessible indefinitely. Therefore, you should forward any emails that you need to keep to a personal account before the end of term. If after you leave, you still need urgent access to something, please contact IT Services on 01482 711688 and they should be able to help you.

Can I get a reference from college?

Yes, you need to contact Student Services on 01482 711688. They can arrange a reference for you and keep track of its completion.

How do I apply to be a student at Wilberforce College?

You can either fill in an application form in the back of our prospectus, apply online on our website or, if you are in Year 11, you will apply via the CAP process in your tutor group.

What qualifications do I need?

BTEC Level 1 – Mainly E, F and G grades at GCSE. BTEC Level 2 – At least two D grades at GCSE BTEC Level 3 – At least four C grades at GCSE, in three or more subjects, plus a D grade in English Language. A level – An average grade of at least C across all GCSEs, with at least grade C in English Language and Maths. Many courses have additional specific requirements. Please check the course information sheets.

What will happen to my application?

Once we have received your application we will hold it until we open our interview stage in February. If you are in Year 11 at one of our Hull partner schools (Malet Lambert, Andrew Marvell, Winifred Holtby, Kingswood, Trinity House, Newland Girls, Archbishop Sentamu), we will come into your school to conduct your interview. If you are in Year 11 at another school in the area, or not currently a school pupil, we will contact you in March to arrange an interview in college. If you are successful in your interview, you will receive a letter of acceptance and can look forward to Welcome Day in June, and starting college in September!

What do I need to bring to my interview?

Nothing! Although if you have any information about your predicted/achieved grades, that will always be useful.

When are Welcome Days?

Usually around the end of June. We release the date for Welcome Days in the prospectus every October, but we’ll send you a personal invitation for the event nearer the time.

When do I enrol?

Enrolment is usually after the August bank holiday, although the dates can be subject to change. We send new and returning students a letter in the Summer holidays which gives them an exact time and date to attend for enrolment.

When do I start college?

You can view our term dates here. We will let you know your start date at enrolment too.

How is the college day structured?

The earliest lesson start time is 9.00am and the latest finish time is 4.00pm. All students have a morning break. Lunchtimes vary as you will have your own individual timetable subject to the level and choice of your course(s).

Who do I ask about IT and logging on to my email?

Our IT Helpdesk is located in room A101 and they can help you with your account and password.

I have a question about my bursary or free meals.

If you have any queries relating to finance, you should see a member of Student Services, located at the entrance to the college.

I'm ringing/emailing the college, but no-one is answering.

Occasionally there are times when lots of people are trying to contact the college (results days, enrolment, etc), and on these days you may struggle to get through via the telephone. If this is the case, there are many other ways to contact us. You can email, you can fill in the contact form on our website, or you can send us a message on Facebook or Twitter. We aim to answer your queries as soon as possible, but please be aware that at busy periods, it may take us slightly longer.

What do I need to do when I leave college?

You need to complete a clearance form from Student Services. Please ensure you have returned your locker key and claimed your £5 deposit, returned any items you have borrowed from the library and paid any outstanding fines. It would also be a good idea for you to collect any outstanding results/certificates from Student Services, which will save you having to return at a later date.

When do I pick up my exam results?

We will publicise exact days and times for our August Results Days during the Summer holidays on our website and on Facebook, so please check regularly. If you are unable to attend Results Day, you can check your grades on Columbus or collect them in person from Student Services in the new term.

When can I apply for college?

Each October we open applications for the following year, along with the launch of our new prospectus.

Who can apply to be a student at Wilberforce College?

We can enrol students aged between 16-19. If you are aged over 19 years old, please contact us to discuss the possibility of a place.

How do I view a prospectus?

You can view it online here.

What will happen at my interview?

Your interview is nothing to worry about. We check your contact details, log your predicted/achieved grades and talk to you about the courses you would like to take. This is your chance to discuss your career ambitions with us, to ask any questions about college and get some advice about course choice.

What are Welcome Days?

Welcome Days take place at the end of June, after your exams and before the Summer holiday starts. It is a chance to meet other students in your year, explore the college campus and experience some of activities you’ll be tasked with on your new courses. There is also music, food and some free stuff to whet your appetite for things to come.

Can I bring anyone with me on Welcome Days?

Welcome Days are exclusively for new students of the college. If any of your friends want to come along, they’ll need to apply to be a student of the college. But don’t worry if you’re coming on your own, there are plenty of social activities and chances to make new friends.

Do I need to bring anything with me when I enrol?

Along with your appointment letter, we also send you a pack of enrolment information. This lets you know exactly what to bring and gives you information on transport, finance and enrolment procedures.

How do I rent a locker?

Students Services hire out lockers. They require a £5 refundable deposit, which you receive back when you return your key at the end of the year. You will need your ID card, and it may be a good idea to think about where you would like your locker to be.

I have other questions about finance/transport/personal issues. Who can I ask?

A good rule of thumb is that if your question is IT related, go to the IT Helpdesk. If it is about anything else, go and see Student Services. They are there to support you through college and if they can’t help, they will be able to find the person who can.