Why should I study this course?
We are launching this course for September 2021 starters. T Levels are new, two-year, technical study programmes (similar to apprenticeships) designed with employers to give young people the skills that industry needs.
T-Levels will become one of three major options for students to study at level 3, alongside apprenticeships for those who wish to study and train for a specific occupation ‘on the job’, and A levels for students who wish to continue academic education. When you complete a T-Level study programme, you will be able to choose between moving into a skilled occupation or further study, for example, a higher or degree level apprenticeship, or higher-level technical study, including higher education.
T-Levels will provide a mixture of:
- technical knowledge and skills specific to your chosen industry or occupation
- an industry placement of at least 315 hours in your chosen industry or occupation
- relevant Maths, English and digital skills
- common workplace skills.
T-Levels will offer you a mixture of classroom learning and 'on-the-job' experience during an industry placement of at least 315 hours (approximately 45 days). They will provide the knowledge and experience needed to open the door into skilled employment, further study or a higher apprenticeship.
What will I study?
T-Level courses will include the following compulsory elements:
- a technical qualification, which will include core theory, concepts and skills for an industry area
- specialist skills and knowledge for an occupation or career
- an industry placement with an employer
- a minimum standard in Maths and English if you have not already achieved them.
How is the course assessed?
The course is assessed through internally and externally marked elements. Students who complete their T Level will receive an overall grade of pass, merit, distinction or distinction*. You will get a nationally-recognised certificate which will show your overall grade and a breakdown of what you have achieved.
The T Level certificate will include:
- an overall grade for the T Level, shown as pass, merit, distinction or distinction*
- a separate grade for the core component, using A* to E
- a separate grade for each occupational specialism, shown as pass, merit or distinction
It will also include confirmation that you have:
- met the minimum requirements for Maths and English qualifications
- completed the industry placement
- met any additional mandatory requirements
Your overall T Level grade will be worked out from the grades you achieved on the core component and the occupational specialism(s).
What will the course prepare me for?
You can enter directly into employment with this qualification or can choose to do further higher education study.
You will be expected to complete private study.
What materials will I need to provide?
How will I be taught?
This course is for you if...
Your application starts here
What are the course requirements?
You will need four GCSEs at Grade 4 or above, including English and Maths.
What skills do I need?
You will need to be punctual and have excellent attendance, disciplined, be able to work independently and also as part of a team, be totally reliable and have work placement confidence.